Friday, February 24, 2012

Distribution cleanup

I would love to be able to run the distribution cleanup job with a switch that says cleanup all distributed transactions.

Because when I use peer to peer replication the @.allow_initialize_from_backup publication property is set to true which is good. But it has the down side that transactions are stored the max retention period in the distribution database. I want to use the deafault 72 hours for my retention period so that the subscritions don't get deactivated but in a system with a high transaction rate there wil be a lot of transactions in 72 hours. This means that the cleanup job will have a tough time to figure out which transactions to delete so the cleanup job will run for a long time not a very big problem but the problem is that the cleanup job will keep the log reader agent from delivering trtansactions to the distribution database and the subscribers won't get their data in time.

Could Microsoft please give me a switch so I can choose when I want to save my transaction and when I want to delete them as soon as they have been delivered to all subscribers?

Is this a feature in SQL Server 2008? Could it be released in SP3 for SQL Server 2005. (The SP 2 cleanup job has a bug so I have to use the SP 1 verison of the cleanup job)

just out of curiosity what is the bug in SP2 cleanup job? Do you happen to have a bug number or description, i can look it up and see if there's a workaround for your problem.|||

I don't have the bug number My tech lead at Microsoft will come back to me when the dev team has made the correction. The workaround I use is to run the SP1 versions of some cleanup procs.

This workaround atleast lets me delete the records older than max retention.

But I still would lit to be able to give two dates to the cleanup job. One for checking the subscription deactivation and one for transaction cleanup.

No comments:

Post a Comment