Friday, February 24, 2012

distribution agent bcp error

I am trying to use immediate updating transactional replication. A few of the tables have text fields. I want to filter out these fields, but when the subscriber reinitializes I get a bcp error - unexpected EOF. When I switch the publisher to use chara
cter format (rather than native) I get an unknown character error. The columns are marked default null. If I do not filter the columns, the initialization works fine. Is there anything I am missing?
Any help is appreciated.
Sql Server 2000 Enterprise sp3
Debra,
I haven't seen this before and don't know of a direct solution. Some posts
have mentioned that the column order is relevant. There is a known bug
(http://support.microsoft.com/?id=271344) which reports the same error - in
this case you'd need to manually apply the snapshot. Please can you post up
the schema of the problematic table and an explanation of the filter you're
using.
TIA,
Paul Ibison
|||I am begining to believe the problem is specific to that server. I copied the databases to to my local machine and the replication with filters worked fine. But, I have to say I have not installed the application locally. I really do not believe the pr
oblem is the application, though.
On the servers, I am replicating the databases behind Great Plains - 2 separate boxes with named instances. I have handled all the identity fields with not for replication and ranges. In the tables that are giving me headaches there are between 10 and 3
0 columns. There are some indexes and PK, but not on the columns I am trying to filter. I tried moving the columns (I had also read that column position might be to blame), with no luck. For a work around, I changed the columns to varchar and left th
em in the replication. When I move to production, I will attempt to leave the fields as text and use the filter. I'll be sure to post if it works or not. I did not set up the servers I am using, but I can not think of why they would not handle the filt
ers!
Thanks for confirming that this was not a known error and possibly is restricted to my enviornment.
"Paul Ibison" wrote:

> Debra,
> I haven't seen this before and don't know of a direct solution. Some posts
> have mentioned that the column order is relevant. There is a known bug
> (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=271344) which reports the same error - in
> this case you'd need to manually apply the snapshot. Please can you post up
> the schema of the problematic table and an explanation of the filter you're
> using.
> TIA,
> Paul Ibison
>
>
|||I moved the databases to a different server and recreated the subsciption and publication. When replicating just that one table, the bcp works with no error. When I add all the other tables (175), the bcp fails if there are any filters on the tables th
at have many columns. I did not test filtering the tables that have fewer columns.
I worked around the issue by doing as you said and manually applying the snapshot. Luckily this is a one time deal and there will only be one subscriber.
Thanks for your help!
"Paul Ibison" wrote:

> Debra,
> I haven't seen this before and don't know of a direct solution. Some posts
> have mentioned that the column order is relevant. There is a known bug
> (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=271344) which reports the same error - in
> this case you'd need to manually apply the snapshot. Please can you post up
> the schema of the problematic table and an explanation of the filter you're
> using.
> TIA,
> Paul Ibison
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment