Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Do Linked Servers REQUIRE SA rights

I am trying to set up a linked server, and one of the user is a SQL
user. This user only has permission to select data from several tables.
When I attempt to query the remote server I receive following message:
Access to the remote server is denied because no log in-mapping exists.
However when I grant the user SA rights on the local server that user
is able to query the data.
Any thoughts ?Accessing a linked server doesn't necessarily require
someone to be a member of the sysadmins role. You need to
check the login mapping as the error suggests - look at the
security tab for the linked server.
-Sue
On 8 Jun 2005 12:41:48 -0700, "Rafet Ducic"
<rducic@.gmail.com> wrote:

>I am trying to set up a linked server, and one of the user is a SQL
>user. This user only has permission to select data from several tables.
>
>When I attempt to query the remote server I receive following message:
>Access to the remote server is denied because no log in-mapping exists.
>
>However when I grant the user SA rights on the local server that user
>is able to query the data.
>Any thoughts ?

No comments:

Post a Comment