Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Do I want the Developer version?

I've downloaded 2005 Express but I want to do SSIS and don't see any way to do that with Express. The Developer Edition apparently has all features, but says you can upgrade to Enterprise, which I don't need (Standard would probably be fine).

Here are my questions:

1) Is there any way to develop SSIS packages in Developer and run them in Express?

2) Is it possible to upgrade Developer to something less than Enterprise, such as Workgroup or Standard?

3) This page is titled "How to Obtain SQL Server 2005 Developer Ediiton" but doesn't explain how to obtain it. Instead it talks about which edition to select, trial software, blah blah:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/developer/howtobuy.mspx

Are there any catches or preconditions to buying Developer, or is it just a simple $50 (or less, depending on where you buy it)? I want to explore more 2005 features than Express offers but I don't want a trial version that will expire.

Thanks for any clarification that can be provided.

Hi,

1)

SQL Server 2005 Editions and Integration Services
(http://www.sqlis.com/default.aspx?31)


Microsoft SQL Server: SQL Server 2005 Features Comparison
(http://www.microsoft.com/sql/2005/productinfo/sql2005features.mspx)

2) Yes, sure but the developer edition has the exact same features as the enterprise edition, so you have to keep in mind only to use the standard feature while developing if you want to deploy them later on a standad licenced server.

3) The only limitation to Developer Edition is that you can use it in production due to the agreed licence agreement during the setup process.

HTH, Jens Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de

|||

I understand the answers to 2 and 3 but still not clear on 1.

Is there a way to run 2005 integration packages created in Developer Edition under Express Edition? I've browsed the links and they don't give me a clear answer to this question.

|||

I'm going to move your thread to the Integration Services forum where I think you'll get a quicker response.

-Jeffrey

|||

I am pretty sure you can NOT run SSIS packages using only installable components from the sql server express edition. Basically, there is no free runtime available to run SSIS packages, you have to pay...

|||

Ken is correct, you can't run packages using Express Edition.

Also, just to correct one thing that Jens said. Functionality in Enterprise and Standard is NOT the same. You get extra functionality in Enterprise.

-Jamie

|||Thats not hat I said, if you read my post you will recognize that I compaed developer against the enterpise edition (not the standard edition) :-)

-Jens Suessmeyer.|||

Pardon me Jens, you did indeed. My apologies!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment